Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Season

Here we are, just a few days away from Christmas Day. That holy day, in the Christian religion, that celebrates the birth of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Now why would I bring this up? Well, let me tell you!

I have often thought, in the last few weeks, that while our economy is not faring well, that perhaps it is time to re-introduce the reason for this season. While most know the story of how Joseph and Mary were turned away from the inn because there was no room, how often do we actually think about what that would mean to us today. How many people do you know who are without a job? How many in your town are homeless? How many of your friends are not buying gifts because there is no money for extras?

I remember as a child, we had a manger scene that was set up the first part of December when we started the Advent candles that first Sunday. The babe laid in his cradle of hay. This was how we learned the story of Christmas.  I've looked and looked for a manger scene that I would like to have my adult home. Do you know how hard a good set is to find? It's tough! The new ones don't have to right look to them or they have the look but are way out of my price range.

So, I think, this year, I shall just make believe I have my manger scene and will recreate that lovely feeling by using my imagination. I will wish all I see a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I will try to understand when my friends only give me words as a present due to their tightening of budgets. I will wish a Merry Christmas to the stranger on the street in order to cheer them up. Will you do the same?

So I finish with Merry Christmas to all because I believe the Lord is the one who made this season possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment